MSRP from $35,270* to $43,420*
10 Vehicle Trim Levels Available
2016 RDX - Base MSRP $35,270*
2016 RDX with AcuraWatch Plus - Base MSRP $36,570*
2016 RDX AWD - Base MSRP $36,770*
2016 RDX AWD with AcuraWatch Plus - Base MSRP $38,070*
2016 RDX with Technology Package - Base MSRP $38,970*
2016 RDX with Technology and AcuraWatch Plus Packages - Base MSRP $40,270*
2016 RDX AWD with Technology Package - Base MSRP $40,470*
2016 RDX AWD with Technology and AcuraWatch Plus Packages - Base MSRP $41,770*
2016 RDX with Advance Package - Base MSRP $41,920*
2016 RDX AWD with Advance Package - Base MSRP $43,420*
3.5-liter V-6 Engine
The powerful 3.5-liter i-VTEC® V-6 engine produces an impressive 279 horsepower and 252 lbs.-ft. of torque, while the refined Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) system and low-friction technology produce class-leading efficiency.
- The efficient front-drive model has an EPA fuel economy rating of 20 / 29 / 2327 city/highway/combined, while the AWD model does nearly as well with a 19 / 28 / 22 rating.
- VTEC combined with Variable Cylinder Management enables cylinders to be shut off at cruising speeds in order to increase highway fuel efficiency. Fuel efficiency is enhanced by lower-friction piston rings, the ability to run on lower viscosity oil and transmission fluid, and other friction-reducing features.
- All-aluminum construction, a hollow camshaft, and other weight-saving measures keep the engine lighter for better handling.
- The Drive-by-Wire™ throttle system provides a precise balance of smooth and responsive operation by adjusting throttle sensitivity to varying driving conditions.
- Access to the engine is more convenient with the addition of hood dampers this year that hold the hood up without the need of a manual strut.
Variable Cylinder Management
Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM®) automatically changes the V-6 engine to run on six or three cylinders, depending on driving conditions, resulting in significantly improved highway fuel efficiency.
- During startup, hard acceleration, hill climbing or when high output is required, the engine operates all six cylinders.
- At low-speed cruising on city streets, the engine will shut down one cylinder bank (which has three cylinders on one side of the "V") and operate on the remaining three cylinders.
- 2016 adds active engine mounts that improve engine smoothness while the engine is running on three cylinders.
- The system monitors throttle position, vehicle speed, engine speed, gear selection and other factors to determine the correct cylinder activation for the operating conditions. The system also monitors catalytic-converter temperature to make sure it remains in the proper range to keep emissions low.
6-Speed Sequential SportShift Automatic
The 6-speed automatic transmission Sequential SportShift paddle shifters gives you the best of both worlds by providing the convenience of precise and intuitive automatic shifting as well as shift-for-yourself control.
- Set the transmission to "Drive" for smooth gear changes with an emphasis on fuel efficiency. Select "Sport" for quicker acceleration, as the transmission allows the engine to rev higher before upshifting.
- The steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters deliver quick, precise shifts at your fingertips.
- Tapping a paddle shifter while in "Drive" brings a quick gear change with automatic operation returning when reaching a steady speed. This allows you to make quick gear changes without changing in and out of manual mode.
- Using a paddle shifter in "Sport" puts the transmission into full manual mode, where you'll have complete control during high-performance or hilly driving.
- For better climbing or increased downhill engine braking, Grade Logic Control instructs the transmission to hold a lower gear when encountering a steep uphill or downhill grade.
- Shift Hold Control keeps the transmission in its current (lower) gear ratio when the throttle is quickly released and the brakes are applied, such as entry into a tight curve. This leaves the chassis undisturbed by excessive shifting.
All-Wheel Drive with Intelligent Control
The RDX all-wheel drive system is designed to help maximize the use of available traction in both dry and slippery conditions, while minimizing system-wide friction and power loss to help optimize fuel efficiency.
- In normal cruising, the system operates as an efficient FWD vehicle with 100% of engine torque being directed to the front wheels.
- During moderate acceleration or when front wheel slip is detected in dry conditions, up to 40% of engine torque is transferred to the rear wheels.
- On a wet or slippery surface, wheel slippage will cause a reduction in engine output to the front wheels possibly to a point where torque is distributed 50/50 between the front and rear wheels.
- Systemic efficiencies allow the AWD model to have a combined EPA fuel economy rating of only one mile per gallon below the front-wheel drive model.
The RDX front strut and rear multi-link suspension systems are tuned to provide a combination of secure handling and exceptional ride. The RDX was one of the first Acura model equipped with Amplitude Reactive Dampers, which have now spread across all Acura model lines.
- The front Macpherson strut design is configured to offer long vertical wheel travel and excellent durability that will stand up to under-maintained city streets.
- For an outstanding balance of comfort and precision handling, the rear suspension features a multi-link design similar to the one used on Acura sport sedans.
- To maintain composure in hard cornering, the rear suspension features anti-squat geometry to reduce pitching under acceleration and also isolates springs and dampers from lateral forces.
- Amplitude Reactive Dampers feature two piston valves per damper (a.k.a. shock absorber) rather than one. The main valve reacts to help absorb minor road vibration, while the second one is stiffer, reigning in a larger suspension motion for improved stability.
- Stability is also enhanced by having a lower center of gravity than most SUVs, as well as a wide track and long, 105.7" wheelbase.
The new electronic power steering provides a smooth, linear transition between the generous power assist at low speeds and a firmer feel at higher speeds.
- For maximum efficiency, the electronic power assist does not drain engine power.
- Extreme steering column rigidity reduces low- and high-speed vibration.
Since performance driving requires precision braking, the RDX features a firm pedal feel with linear response and is backed by 4-channel anti-lock brakes, Electronic Brake Distribution and Brake Assist systems.
- The RDX fills its 18-inch wheels with large 12.3-inch ventilated discs in the front and 12.0-inch solid discs in the rear, which resist brake fade even after continuous hard use.
- Electronic Brake Distribution uses the anti-lock brake sensors to determine the proportion of brake force to be channeled to each wheel for increased performance and stability.
Rigid Body Structure
The less flex there is in the body, the more precisely the suspension can be tuned for an optimal combination of handling and ride. For 2016, Acura has taken the impressive second-generation RDX body structure and increased rigidity still further.
- Additional reinforcements around the rear-suspension mounting points reduce vertical flex.
- Lateral flex has been reduced through strengthened joints around the front suspension sub-frame mounting.
- Close to 40% of the vehicle's weight is made up of high-tensile steel, which is lighter and stiffer than conventional structural steel.
Smooth & Quiet Ride
While developing the second-generation RDX, one of our primary goals was to make the vehicle more enjoyable for both driver and passengers by reducing noise, vibration, and harshness.
- A floating front sub-frame structure with heavily reinforced mounting points reduces road noise.
- Thinsulate™, an effective noise absorber, has been added to new areas such as the inner fenders, door lighting housings, and spare tire pan to further reduce road noise.
- Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires were also selected for their quiet performance.
Lighting & Visibility
Multi-View Rear Camera
All RDX models are equipped with a rearview camera50 that automatically produces three available views of the area behind the vehicle when "reverse" is engaged. The standard system has a 5-inch, full-color display above the center controls. Navigation system-equipped models use the 8" navigation screen.
- The regular view is ideal to help survey areas directly behind the RDX while backing up or parking.
- The wide angle view shows a 170° perspective behind the RDX, which is perfect to help spot approaching vehicles when backing out of parking spots.
- The top-down view is useful for parallel parking or lining up a trailer hitch.
- Yellow guidelines help guide your trajectory and judge distances. The closest guideline indicates the clearance for opening the power tailgate.
- On models with the Technology Package the guidelines are dynamic, showing your expected rearward trajectory based on the steering angle of the front wheels.
Rear Cross Traffic Monitor
Whether backing out of parking space or onto a busy street, the RDX has your back.
- Sensors located near the rear corners of the RDX can detect approaching vehicles from either side of the parking lot lane.
- The monitor is particularly useful when other parked vehicles hinder side-to-side vision.
- With the Multi-view rear camera50 in Normal or Wide mode, the driver is alerted to a detected, approaching vehicle by an audible chime and amber arrows in the rear camera monitor.
Jewel Eye Headlights
Stunning, highly illuminating Jewel Eye® LED headlights are standard on all RDX models. Five low-profile LEDs per headlight provide a whiter, brighter beam while using less energy and lasting significantly longer than HID or traditional halogen headlights.
- Using precisely-aimed lenses, the three outer LEDs on each light comprise the low beams and reveal the road more clearly without blinding oncoming traffic. The high beams add the two inner LEDs to illuminate distant objects 200 milliseconds sooner than conventional lights. At 60 mph, that's over 17 feet.
- Underlining the headlights is a distinctive LED light bar for Daytime Driving Light duty.
- When turned off, reflective surfaces behind the lenses contribute to the bright, jewel-like appearance.
The Advance Package includes parking sensors for both the front and rear.
- The sensors detect when the RDX is closely approaching a vehicle or surface in the front or rear.
- When the RDX is close to a detected obstruction, a beep sounds in the cabin. The beep sounds more rapidly as you get closer.
Keyless Access System
The Keyless Access System with smart entry and pushbutton ignition allows you to walk up to the RDX, unlock the doors, have the car set your preferences and start the engine without ever having to take the key out of your pocket.
- The vehicle will sense the key remote but will not unlock the door until you touch the handle.
- You can turn the engine and auxiliary controls on and off at the touch of a button.
- If the key fob battery runs out, you can start the engine by pushing the start button and moving the key in front of the pressed start button while depressing the brake pedal.
Press a button on the key fob, and the tailgate will automatically open for you. And when you're finished loading or unloading, press the button again, and it will power down and latch.
- The tailgate will also activate from a button on the dashboard, as well as by the tailgate handle.
- In the event of a power failure, the tailgate can be raised and lowered manually.
- When opening or closing, the tailgate is designed to automatically reverse itself if it senses an obstruction.
Remote Engine Start
On models with the Advance Package, the RDX engine can be started remotely so that the engine is warmed up and the cabin is either heated or cooled appropriately by the time you arrive.
- You can remotely start the engine using the two-way keyless access remote from distances up to 328 feet (100 meters) from the vehicle.
- The climate control will automatically set to 72 degrees, preparing the RDX interior to be close to your desired temperature setting. In cold temperatures, the defrost will already be working to clear the windshield and even the seat heaters may be activated.
- Only when the RDX detects the remote inside the car can it be driven away.
- LED lights on the remote inform the user of the RDX ignition status.
- Wipers, audio and lighting are disengaged during remote start period, though the security system remains active.
Rain Sensing Wipers
When the wiper control is set to auto, sensors observing the presence of rain on the windshield will automatically turn on the wipers when needed.
- Wiper activity will increase with the degree of rain detected.
- Cessation of rain will cause the wipers to automatically stop.
The sophistication of the RDX interior begins with the plush feel of the seats, which are ergonomically designed to provide the support of a luxury sport sedan.
- The Technology Package brings breathable perforated leather on both front and rear seating surfaces.
- Both front seats have dual-level heaters for cold days. Models with the Advance Package get 3-level heating and 3-level ventilation on both front seats.
- The front seats are generously bolstered to keep you and your passenger secure during spirited driving.
- The perfect driving position is just a touch away with the 10-way power adjustable driver's seat.
- The driver's seat features two memory settings, which also recall side mirror positions.
- In addition to the usual height and angle settings, there's a power lumbar adjustment in the driver's seat to keep your back content during long journeys.
- The front passenger can also ride in personalized comfort with a 4-way adjustable power seat, which is upgraded to 8-way power on models with the Technology Package.
With room for three in the rear, the RDX is a premium five-passenger vehicle with soft, perforated leather for all.
- 60/40 split rear seatbacks allow for a variety of passenger/cargo combinations.
- Rear passengers can direct the flow of heat or cooling with adjustable vents in the rear of the center console.
- Passengers enjoy plenty of leg and toe room with a flat floor (no hump) and generous space under the front seats.
- The center armrest folds down to reveal two built-in cup holders.
The cargo area of the second-generation RDX is more accessible than ever before.
- The width of the tailgate opening is over four feet (48.8") across.
- There is 26.146 cubic feet of storage behind the rear seats, which is enough for two 29" and two 21" roller bags, plus two 16" carry-on bags.
- With the rear seatbacks up, cargo can be concealed under a retracting cargo cover.
- From the tailgate area, you can lower either or both of the 60/40-split rear seatbacks to enlarge the cargo space. Pull one of the levers positioned on each side near the tailgate, and the rear seatback on that side is spring-loaded to fall forward and form a flat cargo floor.
- With both rear seatbacks down, the RDX offers 76.947 cubic feet of cargo space.
In addition to a generous cargo area, the RDX has many easily accessible storage areas throughout the cabin.
- The main covered storage area in the center console can carry up to 23 CD cases, while a tray above it is perfect for a cell phone or small personal items. The space also includes an accessory power outlet.
- The console has a second covered storage space in front of the shifter that's perfect for hand-held electronic devices and includes a USB connection, audio input jack and another accessory power outlet.
- The bin-shaped glove box includes a removable tray, sized to hold the owner's manual.
- The rear of the center console features a small shelf for rear passengers, and there's also storage in each door panel below the armrest.
The RDX dashboard sports the dual-cockpit design found on all Acura models. With its elegant shapes, refined materials and intuitive functionality, it was smartly designed to enhance your driving enjoyment.
- The available On Demand Multi-Use Display™ (ODMD™) touchscreen contains primary controls for both audio and phone functions freeing up the navigation screen for at-a-glance viewing and information relating to (or independent from) the lower touchscreen.
- Drivers can operate the most frequently used functions directly from the steering wheel, while traditional hard climate controls are located on the center panel.
- Beautifully lit analog gauges display road speed, engine speed, and temperature and fuel level.
- The Multi-Information Display (MID) located between the speedometer and tachometer can be controlled from the steering wheel and provides a wealth of information from tire pressure to average MPG. Models with the Technology, Advance, or AcuraWatch Plus packages have a full-color MID. On models with the Technology Package, this display can also show turn-by-turn directions.
- Models equipped with the HomeLink® system can be programmed using up to three distinct frequencies to consolidate garage or gate remotes.
On Demand Multi-Use Display
Leading the way in audio and information Technology Plus has its advantages-and its challenges. So as the number of features and music sources have increased, Acura designers foresaw a very crowded center panel. The solution is an intuitive touchscreen called On Demand Multi-Use Display™ (ODMD™) that consolidates the controls drivers need at any given moment. What could have been more than 30 buttons has been simplified to nine.
- Up to 10 different audio sources can be accessed directly so you no longer need to repeatedly hit a button to rotate to your desired audio source.
- So every panel can be quickly understood and operated, each display is uniquely designed for the particular task.
- A shortcut button gives quick access to your favorite audio presets, navigation locations or speed-dial favorites.
- When valet parking, another shortcut lets you disable access to various locations and functions, including trunk, glove box, navigation, phone and audio controls.
- The ODMD™ can instantly display a current status for audio and climate functions without disturbing the upper display screen. This feature is particularly useful when navigating to a new location.
Automatic Climate Control
The RDX dual-zone, automatic climate control system allows the driver and front passenger to create their own microclimates.
- Set your desired temperature and airflow distribution however you like. Your front passenger can set an entirely different temperature, and the system will maintain both.
- Rear passengers can direct flow with adjustable vents in the rear of the center console.
- When alone, the driver can easily switch off the dual setting and set the whole cabin to a single temperature.
GPS-linked Climate Control
The automatic climate control system benefits from a GPS-linked solar sensor10 on models equipped with the Technology Package.
- The GPS link monitors the sun's intensity and location relative to the vehicle, enabling the system to keep each side of the cabin at its designated temperature.
- The system is completely automatic and requires no manual adjustments, regardless of outside conditions.
- Almost all climate control functions are operable by voice commands.
The voice recognition feature that accompanies the optional Acura Navigation System10 allows you to perform the most frequently used functions of the audio, climate control, and navigation systems without ever taking your hands off the wheel.
- With a simple click of the "Talk" steering wheel-mounted control, the audio system will instantly mute as you issue one of over 600 voice commands with 100,000 variations to the audio, climate or navigation systems.
- Some commands can replace multiple manual functions, for example: "CD 3, song 4", will turn on the audio system, select the third CD, and play the fourth song.
- You can enter a specific address, as the system will recognize over a million city and street names.
Check in with the office without taking your eyes off the road. The Bluetooth®11 HandsFreeLink® system works with most Bluetooth-enabled cell phones to let you initiate and receive calls using the RDX audio system.
- With a compatible phone, a simple one-time pairing process connects your phone to the car. The downloadable AcuraLink app for Apple® and Android smartphones makes pairing, among other functions, even easier. As long as your phone's Bluetooth is enabled, the RDX automatically reconnects your phone without it ever leaving your pocket or purse.
- Whether you initiate or receive a call, the audio system automatically mutes so the call can be heard through the audio system speakers. Sophisticated directional microphones ensure your voice is clearly heard on the other end.
- Up to six phones can be paired to the system so if, for instance, you are traveling with a spouse and your two teenagers, you can easily select which phone will be connected and change the selection at any time.
- With the Technology Package, you can view and operate HandsFreeLink functions through the navigation screen and all of the numbers on your compatible phone can be downloaded at one time into the system's10 memory. If an incoming call is on your speed-dial list, the number will automatically display.
For more details, please visit the Acura HandsFreeLink minisite.
Handheld texting while driving is illegal in most states and highly dangerous in all states. The integrated SMS text message function44 enables you to respond to incoming text messages while minimizing the potential driver for distraction.
- When driving with a paired, activated, SMS-compatible phone, the system notifies you of incoming text messages and asks if you want the message read aloud to you.
- After the message is read, six pre-prepared responses appear on the center display (i.e. "On my way", etc.). The system also offers a call-back option.
- The system is currently compatible with certain Blackberry phones, Android 4.4 and other smartphones using the MAP protocol. Other models with the required messaging protocol are expected to enter the market in the future.
- Many state or local laws restrict the texting feature. Only use it when conditions allow you to do so safely.
Siri Eyes Free
If you have an iPhone® with Siri, and an RDX model with the Technology Package, you can use the Siri feature without touching the phone.
- With your Siri-equipped iPhone paired, simply press and hold the Voice Recognition steering wheel control and hold until you hear Siri respond through your audio system.
- You can ask the familiar, friendly interface to perform multiple functions including reading and sending texts, checking weather, sports scores and stock quotes, making calendar appointments and on Technology Plus Package models, read emails.
- Siri will also find music stored in your phone to be played through Bluetooth Streaming.
5-inch Color Display
Models without the navigation system are equipped with a 5-inch, full-color, center display screen that offers a variety of information.
- Depending on the audio source, the display gives detailed audio information on the currently played song, which usually includes artist, song, and album info-and even displays the album art, if available.
- The Bluetooth®11 HandsFreeLink® system uses the display to show contact listings or incoming caller information.
- The easy-to-read display makes phone-related systems such as Pandora®45 Interface or SMS text message function simple to use.
- When reverse is engaged, the screen displays the rear camera50 image.
Standard Audio System
The easy-to-operate standard RDX audio system offers clear, dynamic sound with seven speakers around the cabin, including an 8-inch subwoofer. A large display at the top of the instrument panel provides detailed audio information.
- A speed-sensitive volume control increases the audio gain automatically as road speed increases.
- When driving into a new area, the automatic preset select button allows you to preset the most powerful stations. Push it again and your original presets return.
The system can accommodate a wide variety of audio sources, which include:
- USB Audio Interface7 for iPod®8
- MP3- and WMA6-compatible CD player
- AM/FM with RDS readout
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio4 which has more than 170 channels of digital programming and near-CD quality sound
- Auxiliary input jack
- The ability to interface with a Pandora® application45 loaded onto a paired iPhone
Acura/ELS Surround Sound System
Grammy® award-winning recording engineer and producer Elliot Scheiner helped design the Acura/ELS Surround®32 Premium 10-speaker Sound System to reproduce music the way it is heard in the recording studio. As a result, surround sound fills the car from any stereo digital source. In addition to all the source inputs of the standard RDX audio system, features of the Acura/ELS system include:
- MP3- and WMA6-compatible disc player
- The ability to interface with the Pandora® application45 loaded onto a paired, compatible iPhone.
- 10 speakers, including one per door, two tweeters, one center mid-range, two rear surround, one powered 8-inch subwoofer
- Detailed audio system displays through the navigation screen10
- Dolby®5 Pro Logic® II extracts surround sound from any digital stereo source
- Almost all functions can be performed through the voice recognition system
- The Note function allows you to store song information and a 10-second sample as it is aired on an SiriusXM Satellite Radio4 station so you can recall it later
Learn more about Acura ELS/Surround Sound
USB & iPod Integration
In the RDX, you can take your digital music library along for the ride on your iPod, USB flash drive or compatible phone. You can even have your own personal DJ with Pandora®45 loaded on an iPhone.
- You can operate Pandora with the stereo controls when directly connected using the USB7 jack; Bluetooth®11 Audio streaming does not allow application integration.
- A USB connection interfaces with Apple® iPod®8 players and other USB mass storage devices, such as flash drives that contain MP3, WMA6 or AAC music files.
- Track information appears on the center display. Selection can be controlled using the audio system, including the steering wheel-mounted controls.
- The USB will charge a compatible iPod® while it's playing.
- An auxiliary input jack can be connected to any iPod, MP3 player or other audio device.
- Both the USB and auxiliary inputs are within the center console-covered storage area, where devices can be conveniently carried and discreetly stored.
Music Voice Commands
The Song By Voice® feature uses the Voice Recognition system to help the RDX driver find music on a USB7-connected iPod®8 simply by voicing a preference.
- The system is initialized with the command, "iPod search", after which you can find your preference by first stating your chosen category, such as: song, artist, album, or genre.
- Follow your category choice by stating your desired music selection. For example, if "Equilibrium" is the title song of an album, the command, "Play song, ‘Equilibrium'" will play the song, while saying, "Play album, ‘Equilibrium'" will play the whole album.
- You can also have the system display lists of artists, albums, and other categories on the navigation screen.
Navigation Functionality & Controls
The centerpiece of the Technology Package, the Acura Navigation System10, in conjunction with the AcuraLink®, is perhaps the best driving companion since the invention of the car radio.
- The system features an 8-inch screen, mounted high in the center control panel for easy visibility.
- You can enter an address or access a location from its vast hard drive destination database, using the interface dial or the Voice Recognition system.
- The screen will plot your path on the map and show special displays to guide you through freeway ramps, interchanges and forks in the road.
- The system will also provide voiced guidance, if desired.
- Additional features include AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™57, which can help you get around delays while traveling to your desired destination.
- Following the 90-day free trial period, the AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™57 data services are available on a subscription basis for a fee, which can be combined or separate from other SiriusXM® Satellite Radio4 subscriptions.
AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic
The AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™57 feature helps you steer clear of gridlock by providing continuously updated traffic information in major metropolitan areas across the 48 contiguous United States.
- Interstates and expressways are color-coded to indicate traffic flow levels.
- Icons indicate the location of incidents and traffic conditions affected by construction and weather.
- Traffic Rerouting™ will suggest an alternative route if the system determines it is at least two minutes or 10% quicker.
AcuraLink The Next Generation
A whole new generation of AcuraLink®70 graces the RDX. Thanks to an embedded cellular device, the AcuraLink system now features two-way communication making it even more versatile. In an emergency, location and diagnostic information can be sent and retrieved from the car. Greater interaction with your smartphone enables even more available services. While many AcuraLink features are complimentary others require a subscription. Some of the systems highlights are:
- If an airbag deploys, the RDX will relay an emergency notification. (Cellular connection required.)
- If the RDX is stolen, its location can be tracked by law enforcement.
- AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™57 now shows traffic levels on busy side streets as well as freeways.
- A location on your smartphone can be sent to the navigation system as a ready-to-drive route.
- As part of a subscription service, a live concierge can help you make restaurant reservations and then even send directions to the navigation system.
- Vehicle doors can be remotely locked or unlocked using your smartphone.
The Acura Navigation System10 has an extensive database of addresses and points of interest for a variety of handy information.
- The system will not only show you the nearby ATMs, if, for example, you don't want to pay a service charge, just tell it to show your bank's machines.
- You can also find the exact type of restaurant you're in the mood for, as well as locate schools, parks, hospitals, drugstores, museums, and more.
- Since destinations change over time, CDs with data uploads can be purchased through this website and downloaded to the hard drive.
Adaptive Cruise Control
Conventional cruise control has always been welcome on long highway trips but is of little use on an urban driver's daily commute. Available Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) allows you to set a desired speed but also maintain a desired interval to the car detected ahead so you enjoy the benefits of cruise control in light traffic.
- While cruising, engage the ACC and the system prompts you to select a short, medium, long or extra-long interval to the vehicle ahead.
- Once speed is set (between 25 and 90 mph), you can raise or lower it with the steering-wheel controls. Your speed setting is revealed on the MID.
- At speeds below the set speed, ACC maintains the set interval from the car detected ahead by modulating the throttle and applying moderate braking where appropriate.
Lane Keeping Assist System
It's the best kind of backseat driver. Using a forward-facing camera mounted above the inside rear view mirror, the Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)59 works proactively to keep the RDX inside a detected lane.
- If you steer the RDX out of a detected lane without signaling your intention, the system will gently tug the steering wheel and help guide the car back to the center of the lane.
- Though the system initiates a slight tug, the driver can easily hold course as the system will not take control of the wheel.
- On straight or mildly curving roads, LKAS works to keep the car in the center of the detected lane.
- The system will not steer the car indefinitely. If it senses no steering input from the driver for a certain period of time, the system presents a message instructing the driver to begin steering again.
Blind Spot Information System
The RDX can be equipped with a blind spot information (BSI) system that assists you when making lane changes.
- If the system detects a vehicle in an adjacent lane in the RDX's "alert zone" (approximately along the rear half of the RDX to half a car-length back), an indicator will appear on that side's windshield pillar.
- The pillar light will flash if the driver activates the turn signal in the direction where a vehicle has been detected.
- The blind spot indicators only light up when the RDX is traveling above 6 mph, so they won't come on when you're parking, at stoplights, or in stop-and-go traffic.
- The system also includes a maximum speed difference threshold, so the alert will not activate as you drive past parked cars.
Seat Belts & Airbags
The RDX is equipped with a sophisticated six-airbag system, which includes two front and two front side airbags, and two side curtain airbags with coverage for the front and outboard rear seats. All five seating positions in the RDX have 3-point belts and head restraints. The front seats also have load-limiting tensioners.
- The front airbags are equipped with two-stage, multiple-threshold inflators. These airbags are capable of being inflated at different rates depending on crash severity, seat belt usage and/or other factors. Frontal airbags are designed to supplement the seat belts to help reduce the likelihood of head and upper body injuries in frontal crashes.
- Sensors in the front passenger seat determine if it is empty or if the passenger is too small for the passenger's front airbag to deploy safely, and disengage the front passenger's front airbag, if necessary.
- In the event of a moderate-to-severe side impact, the SmartVent™ front side airbag inflates to help protect the driver's or front passenger's upper torso.
- In a side impact, side curtain airbags deploy downward from just above the doorframes on the impacted side to help protect both front and outboard rear seat occupants.
- The seat belts include an automatic tensioning system that reacts in the first milliseconds of an impact to automatically tighten and help hold the individual in position against the seatback.
- To help prevent the automatic tensioning belt from causing undue pressure on the chest, load limiters slightly relieve belt tension, as needed, to help soften the force.
The RDX has several features addressing child safety, from sophisticated airbag sensors to anchors that secure child seats.
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) anchors, plus upper-tether anchors in the rear seat, allow LATCH-compatible child seats to be installed in the outboard positions without the use of seat belts.
- All windows and the moonroof have an auto-reverse feature that are designed to prevent them from closing if a finger or other obstacle is encountered.
Body Structure Design
To enhance occupant protection and crash compatibility in frontal collisions, the RDX features next generation Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure.
- The ACE™ design utilizes a network of connected structural elements to distribute frontal crash energy more evenly throughout the front of the vehicle.
- This new generation ACE™ incorporates extra braces at the front corners to absorb and distribute impact energy from narrow off-set collisions in which a small portion at one side of the front end must absorb the collision forces.
- The outer braces are designed to transfer impact load toward the center of the frame where the energy can be distributed around the cabin area more evenly.
- This enhanced frontal crash energy management helps to reduce the forces transferred to the passenger compartment and can help to more evenly disperse the forces transferred to other vehicles in a crash.
If momentarily distracted, two state-of-the-art warning systems can alert you to potentially dangerous conditions. Using a camera mounted between the windshield and the rearview mirror, the Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system56 sounds an alert when the RDX unintentionally leaves a detected lane. The Forward Collision Warning (FCW) system55-using both visual and audible warning-alerts you to a potential collision with a vehicle detected ahead.
- At speeds of 45 mph and above, the LDW system looks for painted lines, reflectors or other demarcations of lane division. If the RDX begins to exit a detected lane when the turn signal has not been engaged, the system gives an audible alert accompanied by a Lane Departure message on the MID indicating the side of the lane being crossed. These alerts will disengage when the car returns to the center of the lane or the correct turn signal is activated.
- A button located to the left of the steering column easily disengages LDW.
- FCW can detect vehicles directly in front of the RDX. If the distance between the two vehicles is diminishing, the system compares the vehicles' current speeds to determine if a collision may occur.
- To alert the driver to apply the brakes, FCW issues a beeping sound and flashes an amber "Brake" message in the Multi-Information Display. Advance Package-equipped models also project an amber warning image onto the windshield.
- To avoid unnecessary warnings, the FCW will not operate at speeds below 10 mph.
Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Since an under-inflated tire impedes handling and can be a safety hazard, the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) uses pressure sensors mounted in each wheel that send readings to a central electronic control unit. The system then evaluates whether the pressure is in an acceptable range.
- If a reading is approximately 25% below the recommended level, the RDX will alert the driver through the instrument panel light and the Multi-Information Display (MID).
- On models with the Technology Package, the problem tire will be indicated, along with the individual pressure for all four tires. The pressure display can also be accessed anytime, using the MID controls on the steering wheel.
- As useful as TPMS is, it is still recommended that you manually check your tires on a regular basis.
Braking & Stability
Collision Mitigation Braking System
To help reduce the likelihood or severity of a frontal impact, the AcuraWatch Plus Package features the Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™)61
- Powered by a combination of radar transmitter and forward-facing camera, the CMBS™ determines the distance and closing speed of detected objects that lie directly ahead.
- When the system senses that a frontal collision is unavoidable even if no prior alerts have been given, the front seat belts tighten and strong braking is automatically applied to help reduce the impact velocity and collision force.
- The goal of the CMBS™ is to alert the driver to apply the brakes. While the system assists, it is not expected to avoid a collision on its own.
The RDX disc brakes are backed up by several sophisticated electronic systems to provide you with enhanced braking under any circumstance.
- The anti-lock braking system (ABS) helps you retain steering control in emergency braking by preventing the wheels from locking up, while allowing them to achieve their maximum level of stopping.
- The Electronic Brake Distribution system uses the ABS system to direct braking power among the four wheels, depending on their load, to help optimize braking effectiveness.
- The Brake Assist system detects emergency braking, monitors the speed at which the brake pedal is depressed and steps in to ensure the ABS system is activated-terminating immediately upon release of the brake pedal.
Vehicle Stability Assist
The Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®)12 system uses an array of sensors along with ABS to minimize the dangers of oversteer or understeer.
- The system continually monitors vehicle speed, throttle position, individual wheel speeds, steering angle, lateral G-force, and yaw rate.
- When the potential for oversteer or understeer is detected, VSA will reduce the engine's torque and use the ABS system to apply brakes to each wheel as needed to help stabilize the vehicle.
- The response is so quick that the instability may be corrected before the driver even knows it's occurring.
The RDX comes equipped with a security system that has enhanced capabilities due to the new AcuraLink® system.
- In the event of a break-in the ignition will be disabled, the horn will sound and the lights will flash.
- When enabled, the AcuraLink system will inform you via your smartphone when your RDX security alarm has been triggered.
- If the vehicle is stolen, the AcuraLink system can track the vehicle's location through its embedded cellular device.
Acura RDX Specifications
Dimensions and Capacities
|Ground Clearance (unladen)
|Angle (approach / departure / breakover)
- 3737 lb (1695 kg)
- w/ AcuraWatch Plus:
- 3743 lb (1698 kg)
- w/ Tech. Pkg.:
- 3768 lb (1709 kg)
- w/ Tech. & AcuraWatch Pkgs.:
- 3772 lb (1711 kg)
- w/ Advance Pkg.:
- 3781 lb (1715 kg)
- RDX AWD:
- 3902 lb (1770 kg)
- AWD w/ AcuraWatch Plus:
- 3907 lb (1772 kg)
- AWD w/ Tech. Pkg.:
- 3931 lb (1783 kg)
- AWD w/ Tech. & AcuraWatch Pkgs.:
- 3935 lb (1785 kg)
- AWD w/ Advance Pkg.:
- 3946 lb (1790 kg)
|Weight Distribution (% front / rear)
- Front-wheel drive:
- 61 / 39
- 60 / 40
|EPA Passenger Volume
|Max. Cargo Volume (SAE)
- 2nd row up:
- 26.1 cu ft46
- 2nd row down:
- 61.3 cu ft46 (76.9 cu ft47)
- 38.7 in (983 mm)
- 38.1 in (969 mm)
- 42.0 in (1068 mm)
- 38.3 in (973 mm)
- 55.7 in (1415 mm)
- 53.8 in (1367 mm)
- 58.7 in (1490 mm)
- 57.2 in (1454 mm)
|Fuel Tank Capacity
- 16.0 U.S. gallons (60.5 liters)
|Maximum Seating Capacity
|Horsepower @ rpm (SAE net)
|Torque (lb-ft @ rpm) (SAE net)
|EPA Fuel Economy Ratings27 (city / highway / combined)
- Front-wheel drive:
- 20 / 29 / 23
- 19 / 28 / 22
- Premium unleaded 91 octane
- Drive-by-Wire™ throttle system
|CARB Emissions Rating
- No scheduled tune-ups required for 100,000 +/- miles
- Front-wheel drive or AWD with Intelligent Control System™
- 6-speed automatic transmission with Sequential SportShift paddle shifters and Grade Logic Control
|Maximum Torque Distribution Range (front: rear)
|Gear Ratios (:1)
|Front Stabilizer Bar
|Rear Stabilizer Bar
- Electric Power-Assisted Rack-and-Pinion Steering (EPS)
|Turning Diameter, Curb-to-Curb
|Front Disc Brakes
|Rear Disc Brakes
- 4-wheel disc brakes with anti-lock braking system (ABS), Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist
- 18" x 7.5" aluminum-alloy
- 235/60 R18 high-performance all-season
- 4-year/50,000-mile limited warranty
- 6-year/70,000-mile limited warranty
|Outer body rust-through16
- 5-year/unlimited-mile limited warranty
|Acura Genuine Accessories17
- 4-year/50,000-mile limited warranty
|Acura Total Luxury Care® (TLC®) with Roadside Assistance18
- 15-year/150,000-mile limited warranty
||279 hp, 3.5-liter, i-VTEC®, V-6
|EPA MPG Rating27:
||RDX: 20 (city) / 29 (hwy)
||6-speed automatic transmission Sequential SportShift paddle shifters and Grade Logic Control
||Jewel Eye® LED headlights, LED tail lights
||Sport seats with perforated leatherette-trimmed interior, driver's 10-way power seat, front passenger's 4-way power seat, Heated front seats, Rear climate control vents
||Dual-zone automatic climate control system with air filtration, Multi-view rear camera50 Keyless Access System with smart entry and pushbutton ignition
||Acura Premium Sound System with 7 speakers, USB7 Audio Interface & iPod®8 integration, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio4
||Bluetooth®11 HandsFreeLink® wireless telephone interface
||Remote-linked power-operated tailgate
||Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
|Adding or replacing standard features
|Safety & Security:
||Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™), Forward Collision Warning55, Lane Departure Warning56
||Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)53, Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)59
||Color Multi-Information Display (MID)
|Adding or replacing standard features
|Acura Navigation System
||3Dview, AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™57Traffic Rerouting™57
||Acura/ELS Surround®32 Premium Audio System with 10 speakers, Song By Voice®, HD Radio®, Aha™ Compatibility
||Sport seats with perforated leather-trimmed interior, 8-way power front passenger's seat
||On Demand Multi-use Display™ (ODMD™), Voice Recognition System for navigation audio and climate control systems, Siri® Eyes Free, Color Multi-Information Display (MID) with turn-by-turn guidance
||Blind spot information (BSI) system, Rear Cross Traffic Monitor, Dynamic guidelines on rear camera display
||GPS-linked and solar-sensing10
Advance Package Features
|Adding to Technology and AcuraWatch Plus Package features
||Ventilated front seats
||Remote engine start with vehicle feedback, Rain-sensing windshield wipers
||Auto dimming side mirrors, Parking sensors (front and rear)
||18-inch machine finish alloy wheels, Fog lights
|EPA MPG Rating27:
||RDX AWD: 19 (city) / 28 (hwy)
|| All-wheel drive with Intelligent Control System™